Sunday, June 21, 2009

Boone to Missouri Valley

Heading towards the Missouri River. The day looked like it would be ok, and that was about as good as it got. We were on Rt 30 driving along when the rain started. At one point we lost Dorothy, she had pulled over because her engine was loosing power. We pulled over and put the tarp over us as the rain pounded us. Dorothy caught up and we made the decision to get off 30 as we were probably hard to see and were not feeling all that safe. We looked at the map and found a route that would take us where we wanted to go. We didn't realize just how much of that would be gravel roads. Dorothy took off and the Cadillac didn't. It only took about 5 minutes to get rolling but by then I had lost sight of her in all the hills. At a road construction site the flagman told me she had gone by so I followed the route and hit the gravel. Drove to Grey and found the road I thought we needed to take was a dead end. I got some advice which I decided to ignore....silly girl and headed down the road. I really hate to backtrack and moving forward seemed like a good idea. (I was wet, and my thinking was shorting out a bit)

We followed the dirt for a ways until we came to a road I didn't want to go down. I have enough experience with mud to know when to say "Uncle!" We did eventually find ourselves in Irwin, and there was Dorothy!. The sun was out and the day was getting better and better. We drove together until Missouri Valley, camped at Willow Island State Park. I slept like a log and woke up about 3 hours before I was ready. On to another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment